Wednesday, December 21, 2011

BRASSball Farm System Rankings - Part III

Parkland's Julio Teheran
The BFSR rankings have been updated to reflect some recent changes to the system. I realized that highly-ranked prospects were being penalized too severely when advancing to the majors. The original theory of "a top prospect advancing to the majors is no surprise and shouldn't be awarded a significant amount of progression points" didn't make sense to me anymore.

In my previous post, I used Julio Teheran (Parkland) as an example. Teheran, in the old system, was being punished for being Atlanta's consensus top organizational prospect both last year and this year. I've now adjusted how points are awarded for players like Teheran, and Parkland has deservedly moved up the BRASS system ranking as a result.

However, I still wanted to make sure that my system remained focused on the theme of player progression. Therefore, arguably the top prospect, Bryce Harper (Metropolis), continues to only receive a minimal amount of points. The reason for this is because players that we draft that ultimately make it to the major leagues are more rewarded in this system. When (and not if) Harper is called up, he will then be most likely promoted to the top of the entire list because of all the factors involved over the past couple of years. This would then probably vault Metropolis up to the very top of the BRASS team ranking list as well.

Now that I'm satisfied with all of the various formulas, I have some ideas for some new lists. In January, look for some new pages like "Top Overall Progression Prospects" and "Top Prospects that Reached the Majors in 2011." I'll also put up a list of prospects drafted in the upcoming 2012 BRASSball Draft, and see how they compare to my rankings.

I'm still waiting for a handful of prospect ranking sheets to be completed before I start posting the individual BRASS team reports. Some MLB teams are well represented, while others are not. I want to make sure there's a decent balance of information available before I begin the final breakdowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment